Apple iPhone XR – 128GB – Black A1984
he top end of Apple?s iPhone line-up has its own complexity with last year?s introduction of the iPhone XR. Intended as a cheaper version of the flagship X/XS line, the XR is a significant jump up from the old-style iPhones in capability, but also in price. It?s obvious that Apple would like to shift as many buyers as possible to the X-series phones, but even the XR?s $749 entry price is a tough sell.
So perhaps the biggest question is what happens to the top-end of the iPhone line-up this year? Last year, Apple discontinued the 2017 iPhone X rather than continue to offer it at a cheaper price; the company may repeat that move this year and dispatch the XS in favor of the newest model, but what of the iPhone XR? Will there be a successor, will it stick around at a lower price point, or will it be consigned to the dustbin of history like its spiritual predecessor, the iPhone 5c?
Personally, my suspicion is that Apple wants to keep that top-end of the iPhone roster updated with the latest and greatest technology. Maintaining those price points with new models keeps something for customers to aspire to, rather than being able to get much the same thing with older models that retail for less. (I suspect that?s why the iPhone X didn?t stick around at a discount.)
That said, it would be nice if the XR came in a smaller size as well. Small phones are a market that?s not really being served right now, and having two sizes of XR to go with two sizes of the XS successor and the putative iPhone 9 would definitely simplify matters to good, better, best options. It may not be a two-by-two grid, but it would sure make it easier to figure out which phone to buy.
- Introducing Liquid Retina.The new 6.1-inch1 display on iPhone XR is the most advanced LCD in the industry. An innovative backlight design allows the screen to stretch into the corners. So you see true-to-life color from one beautiful edge to the other.
- All-screen makes the difference.See how much more room you?ll have for everything you love to do.
- Exceptional materials.The most durable front glass ever in a smartphone. Precision-machined, aerospace-grade aluminum bands. Water and dust resistance.2 7-layer color process. And 6 stunning new finishes.
- Wireless charging.The glass back allows iPhone XR to charge easily and wirelessly.3
- Advanced Face ID.Security is simple when your face is your password. You can unlock your iPhone, log in to apps and pay for things with a glance. It?s the most secure facial authentication ever in a smartphone. And now it?s even faster.
- Intelligent A12 Bionic.This is the smartest, most powerful chip in a smartphone, with Apple?s next-generation Neural Engine. For amazing augmented reality experiences. Incredible portraits with Depth Control. And speed and fluidity in everything you do.
- Breakthrough camera system.The world?s most popular camera is defining a new era of photography. Where an innovative sensor works with the ISP and Neural Engine to help you create photos like never before.
- Portrait mode.iPhone XR uses a single-lens camera and machine learning to keep people in the foreground in sharp focus against an artfully blurred background.
- All-new Depth Control.Now you can adjust the depth of field in portraits after you shoot.